Taking care of horses during the winter is a tough job. Figuring out which blankets to put on a horse (and when) can be an added source of stress to many owners, so we've compiled a list of our favorite blanketing articles with industry professionals to help you make your decision.
1. 10 Blanketing Tips from Emma Ford: As head groom for Olympic eventer Phillip Dutton, Emma Ford knows a thing or two about how to keep horses safe, happy and healthy in every season. In this excerpt from her fabulous book World-Class Grooming: The English Rider’s Complete Guide to Daily Care and Competition, Emma shares some of her favorite tips on blanketing, including how to fold them properly, keep them clean and also some common safety practices.
2. To Blanket or Not?: Deciding when to blanket your horse and which blanket to use can be a nerve-wracking decision. Professional groom and stable manager Max Corcoran breaks it down with this handy little guide. Her trick is to follow a few simple rules, set flexible guidelines and try not to overthink it.
See also: What Blanketing Does Your Horse Need?
3. Blanketing a Trace-Clipped Horse: You’ve trace-clipped your horse and now you’re trying to decide whether or not to blanket him. The answer depends on three factors: the type of trace clip he has, his internal thermostat and the climate. Our expert Max Corcoran is back again to offer three simple tips to help you figure out your blanketing strategy.
4. Choose the Best Blanket: Blanket shopping? If this winter’s forecast causes you to rethink whether/how much you blanket your horses, don’t let the plethora of options overwhelm you. An experienced tack shop owner helps you narrow your options by focusing on three key questions.
5. Horse Blanketing 101: As days grow shorter and temperatures drop, it's time to evaluate what blankets your horse needs. With a massive range of options available, deciding what you need can be confusing. Here's a handy guide to help you find the right fit, size and weight to meet your horse's individual needs.
6. How do I Prevent Blanket Rubs?: Worried about your horse getting blanket rubs this winter? Professional groom Liv Gude walks us through this hot topic and shows you how to prevent this from happening.